What we know
In the times when Marble Springs flourished, there was no need to name any of this. Now, however, we need to make things a bit more obvious.
- Ruth Cole was mowed down by Pastor Horner’s shay.
- Anne Harmon lost her eyesight and children in a wagon accident.
- Will Turner lost his life to a careless bucket in a mine, and we are not quite sure how two of the Turner children died.
- Explosion in Jenson’s barn
- No one really saw what happened with Abigail Miller and Clancy Gaylor.
- No one has openly accused Pastor Horner of anything.
- And certainly no one else saw Joel Harris with Rachel Cole so we can definitely put that rumor to bed.
- That day on Willow Creek is only to be remembered by Griffith and Mrs. Maude Newsome.
- Griffith never had enough to count, anyway.
- Jacob Rubenstein lost all his collateral along with his credibillity.
- Charity Paine made Kevin promise never to discuss the reasons behind his. There is hatred enough she said, without that.
Children as they grew
- Lizzie Morrison had too many and may have had a defective one.
- Enid Grimes definitely had a defective one.
- Ivy Lincoln and Emily Morrison strove to learn, and Ivy taught Kevin Paine his three Rs.
- Chirpy Stokes, Lily Cattering, and Katy Stoner knew it was safe to play.
- Ellen Anne Morrison and Straw Morrison learned to care in their own ways.
- Hazel Wringle knew what to name.
- Naomi Cole folded cranes for the children.
- Penny and Ida made the hats for the ladies, and then whimsical hats that Ida would never let Penny show anyone.
- Dell Harmon made chairs.
- Victoria Green and Gertrude Miller wove intricate lockets and pictures from hair.
- Laura Keeperly made quilts.
- Kevin Paine carved wood and taught his son to do the same.
- Edith Gaylor axed her husband.
- Sue Langley showed up pregnant.
- Bart Morrison disturbed the peace.
- Red Birch Pitkin committed suicide.
- Jacob Rubenstein spent years in jail for the bank embezzlement. Michael Nolan did not.
- No one knows what Alvina Heollstar did.
Death and Grief
Everyone dies. Some just take it harder than others.
- Bridget O’Shanty took her child with her.
- The Wringles lost everything.
- The Dagmars and the James both died of no work and no shelter.
- Alvina Heollstar never actually talked about Judy to anyone.
Death in Childbirth
- Dell Harmon worked in the Goliath Manor.
- Hezekiah Lincoln slaved for the Coles.
- Emmy Mateson never owned or operated the White Owl, but she kept it going.
- Herbert Jenkins Smith
- Bart Morrison was not often drunk, thank Heavens.
- No one has ever actually seen what Alvina or even the Washerwoman drink.
- Rachel Cole would not approve of her name on this list.
Gossips and Opinions that Count
- Rachel Cole really ran the town.
- Edna Harris is the only one who thought she understood the town.
- Joel Harris did not write everything down for the Caller.
- Matthew Cole believed in property and proprietry.
- T. M. Davidson ensured his monopoly.
- Michael Nolan took no risks.
- Billie Rose staked in secret.
- Doc Nancy knew the secrets.
- Straw Morrison learned the secrets.
- Luc San understood the differences.
- Naomi Cole visited the ill.
While everyone dies, some people's illnesses redefine them.
- Maddy Bates had consumption.
- Naomi Cole probably had cerebral palsy, but it was known as “bruises on the brain.”
- Grangers died in the influenza outbreak of 1918.
- Dell Harmon died of childbirth fever the year after the Panic (1894)
- Hazel Wringle died of a fever.
- The most blatant case is Zandra Miller's, but others may be hidden.
Everyone in Marble Springs sprang from somewhere else. This list is just about those who can not help but wander.
- Constanza Ascencione
- The Crows
- Rebecca Reaver
- No one asked the Washerwoman why she traveled.
- Tim Harmon and Anne Harmon
- Ingrid Jenson and Sven Jenson
- Charity Paine and Kevin Paine
- Tom Stoner and Sadie Stoner
- Penny Cernak and Ida May Jenkins
- Nobody ever asked Bart Morrison why he wanted Ruby Mateson that much.
Miners and Goldfever
- The Harmons owned the Black Queen Mine
- Joe Cattering thought he owned the Sugar Boy Mine, but really T. M. Davidson did.
- Clancy's mine remains hidden to this day.
- Mandy Turner
- Towee Pitkin is full Ute Indian; Red Birch Pitkin is half-breed.
- Paines, Vernons, and Lincolns are black (their families either freedmen or escaped slaves).
- Sandor Popovic was European, alright. But he was different.
- The Rubensteins were Jewish.
- Hui Sing is from China and no one wants to say where Luc San came from.
- The Yamamotos died for their origins in Japan.
- No one is quite sure about the Washerwoman or the mullatto with green eyes.
These are only the ones that were more or less obvious and do not include domestic abuse